The Duke of Gordon Monument on top of Lady Hill, Elgin was erected in 1839 in honour of the fifth Duke of Gordon, the first commander of the Gordon Highlander’s regiment. The Duke’s statue was placed atop the pillar in 1855. The column is 90 feet high and inside there is a spiral staircase leading to the top of the column.

Atop the pillar are a number of floodlights which light up the statue. Since the 1980s, the Moray Mountaineering Club have assisted the Council by voluntarily replacing the floodlight bulbs.

Today, Richard, Dan, Jane, Andy and Joe ascended the internal staircase, rigged a safety rope around the circumference of the pillar top and secured themselves to the rope before replacing the necessary bulbs. A real birds eye view was to be had from the summit.

A big well done to all involved.

Photos: Richard